Sunday, July 8, 2012

Catholic Girl in a Public World Part I

First, I'd like to apologize for my long hiatus from the blogosphere.  I had many unfortunate events that wore me down and left me no time for blogging.  I don't know how often I'll be blogging this time around.  I am not blessed with a summer vacation (holy grown up, batman!) and my daily schedule is pretty bleak.  I'll try a whole lot better than last time though!

Second, I'd like to congratulate all the Catholic girls of the Class of 2012! I was in your shoes some undisclosed time ago (I feel really old, believe me).  I was leaving my nicely sheltered world of Catholic education and going off into (GASP!) public education.  I left my incredibly small bubble of the Northern Virginia-DC-Southern Maryland Catholics and went slightly South to the Baptist-loving country of the Blue Ridge Mountains at Virginia Tech (Go Hokies).  Uniformed life was no more--and I had to wear something different.  EVERY DAY! Mom and dad were no longer there to wake me up for Mass every morning.  And a lot of people... A LOT of people, did not get my Catholic jokes.  The world outside of Catholicism can be very cruel--and very unamused. 

I had my own High School Graduation at the National Shrine of the Immaculate Conception in Washington, DC.  It is by far the nicest place I've had for ANY of my graduations.

This week, time permitting, I would like to introduce a series of tips for our young, blossoming Catholic Girls as they prepare to go off to college.  I will try to include: Clothes (no uniforms is VERY stressful), going to Mass (holy days of obligation and classes!), Socializing (beware of atheists out to dispute you!), and whatever else you all want to hear.  I would really appreciate your input, so please comment on posts or tweet at me!

Going to college after 13 years of Catholic school...a VERY BIG #catholicgirlproblem

No comments:

Post a Comment