Friday, March 2, 2012

Fishy Friday #2: Carb Free Calamari


Happy second Friday of Lent! So far, I've avoided updating my facebook status so far.  You all don't seem to understand my addiction--I document my entire life on facebook for the world to see.  Unfortunately, some pure gold life-moments have occurred thus far and I have not been able to update the world on it--two of them being my fighting neighbors screaming up and down the hallway and then one of my other neighbors setting our apartment on fire.  Looks like God's way of saying this was a bad idea. Or testing me. It's so cruel.  

Some of our lovely pieces are giving up carbs for Lent, despite my warnings.  Some of you have also cut out dairy, again, despite my warnings of giving up major food groups.  In any case, I can't eat gluten or dairy when I'm training either, so here is a recipe for carb-free/dairy-free calamari.  The ingredients are relative easy to find in a Whole Foods or other health foods stores.
paleo fried coconut calamari
1 lb squid
½ cup coconut milk
2 eggs
Coconut flour
Almond meal
Garlic powder
Salt and pepper
Dried parsley
Cayenne pepper
Crushed red pepper
Coconut flakes

Slice up squid (or buy a pound already cleaned because it’s not nearly as messy).  Whisk eggs and coconut milk in a bowl.  Dip each squid ring/tentacle individually into egg/coconut milk mixture.  Place dipped squid into breading.  Make sure each part gets coated.  Drop into hot coconut oil.  Cook for 2-4 minutes until crispy.  Serve with lemon wedges or homemade aioli

Breading: 1 part coconut flour, 2 parts almond meal, garlic powder, salt, pepper, dried parsley, cayenne pepper, crushed red pepper, and some coconut flakes.  Make a big batch of this and put a little at a time in a smaller bowl to use--it gets gummy and practically unusable pretty fast.  

I've made this before and its really yummy...if you like coconut anyways.  Stay away if you are allergic.  Just had to put that out there. People are really stupid these days.  

In other news, I've been a major slacker about 40 days of giveaways--I'm going to be having a catch up day next week to just give away everything I've been missing the past few days. 


1 comment:

  1. This sounds yummy. Maybe I can test this out for next Friday.

    ReplyDelete