Thursday, February 16, 2012

re-LENT-less

I think of Lent as the Catholic New Year's resolution do-over.  You know, you try to do something good for yourself every new year--weight loss, drinking water, working out, and the like.  For myself, my new year's resolution was to read one book every week, 52 books a year.  As a grad student, that did not last long.  I got to about week 2 and gave up.  I read "The Help" and a book on how to do CV's and resumes.  It just didn't go as planned because it was not reasonable.  That was lesson numero uno.

Now Ash Wednesday is around the corner, and it is sort of like a new year's resolution, but somehow in a way to punish yourself.  Taking my lesson from the good ole new years resolution is to be reasonable.  My rule is not to cut out a major food group like carbs--you will DIE.  Candy is ok, you don't need candy anyways.  I myself am on a Gluten-free diet to begin with anyways, so why would I cut out something else that I can't eat?  One time in undergrad, I gave up potatoes--everything potatoes like chips, hash browns, mashed potatoes were off limits.  It was the worst 6 weeks of my life.  If you know me at all, I LOVE POTATOES.  I'm pretty sure if I did not watch what I eat, I would have at least 2 potato products for each meal. 

So for Lent this year, I am giving up updating my facebook status.  If you were my friend on facebook, you would have probably de-friended me already.  I realized I had a problem when the majority of any superlative in which I was involved had to do with my constant updating of facebook status.  Furthermore, I looked on my profile page one day, and it really was just a history of my status updates--no one posted on my wall and if they did, it was just pushed down because I update my status about 10 times a day.  So for Lent, I'm not going to do it.  I am, however, going to New Orleans in March, so I will be updating facebook with pictures and the like, with or without witty captions. 

Also, I have an irrational fear of ending up on unfriendable.com.  If you've never seen it, go there NOW and add it to your bookmark of websites you browse instead of paying attention in class. You are welcome. 

Look for a contest and give away coming up on Ash Wednesday :)

1 comment:

  1. I think I'm giving up candy for Lent this year because I'm addicted to it! But I love your part about it being Catholics New Years resolution do over, very funny!

    ReplyDelete